Tuesday 23 February 2010

Sussex Beacon Half Marathon



On Sunday, we braved the wind and the hail and the rain and the cold and ran the Sussex Beacon Half Marathon in Brighton. I can honestly say I have never been so wet and cold in my entire life. For anyone who was out and about in Hove on Saturday and saw a bedraggled woman clad in black running gear stomping down the seafront by the lagoon singing the song from the tabacalera scene in Carlos Saura's Carmen at the top of her voice, yes, you guessed it, that was me. I have to admit it wasn't the most tuneful rendition, but I was pretty much on my own at that point and the hail was getting to me at around 7 miles in. My great aim for the day was to get around in one piece (which I managed) but it would be dishonest to say I hadn't hoped to do it in under three hours - which I didn't manage; I made it over the line in 3:01:50. At least I have something to aim for next time. "Next time?" you say. Yes, next time. I actually found the half marathon distance easier than the 10k, so now I have high hopes that the marathon will be easier still. I feel I may be disappointed there. James fared slightly better than me and finished ahead of his target in 2:08:59 (though about 20 seconds of that was waiting in the queue to get over the finish line!)

No comments:

Post a Comment